Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Bubble Map Paragraph: Roehl Seeing Green

After completing your bubble map, draft one paragraph that details one of your adjectives. Remember to concentrate on one adjective to give focus to the paragraph. The typed paragraph is due on Thursday along with your completed bubble map and double bubble classmate comparison.



Roehl's sample paragraph is below.



Roehl Seeing Green



Having grown up on a farm in Medina, I have an affinity for rich, black soil laced with a little cow manure. Such a garden that yields the juiciest tomato or the tenderest ear of corn is a thing of beauty. However, my small yard in St. Louis Park doesn't afford me the space for a large vegetable garden, so I supplement my longing for my farming anscestory by belonging to a Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) program. My CSA farmer Richard delivers one box of fresh, organic vegetables each week for my family to enjoy. I make an awesome chocholate zuchinni cake and a beans and greens dish sure to please the most sophisticated Italian pallate. Richard also provides my family with organic fruit that he gets from his farming friends on the West Coast and in Mexico. For nine months out of the year my produce needs are met by this buying locally, biodyamically earth friendly CSA method which allows my family to know we are being as green as possible where groceries are concerned. I have taken this green philosophy to other areas of my life. This past summer I began mowing my lawn with a reel mower; that's the type of push mower that's powered only by humans. Although the reel mower might not leave the most manicured lawn, I enjoy the quiet, peaceful mowing experience that saves gas and carbon emissions. Speaking of emissions, I have also reduced my clothes dryer emissions this summer by hanging most of my family's laundry on the line. While my family was in Spain for three weeks last year, I noticed that most, if not all, Spanish families hang their clothes on the line from their apartment windows. I figured that if they can do it without a backyard, then I was being wasteful of the planet's resources my using a machine to dry my clothes, a machine that also pumps emissions into the atmosphere. Although being green takes a lot of work, I am glad that I have taken a few simple steps to reduce my carbon footprint.

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed reading and learning more about you through your blog. It's great to hear you love to cook because I, myself, love watching the cooking channel and also am into trying new recipes! have a great night!

Anonymous said...

I also agree with Grace, your blog was very intresting and fun to read. It really showed the type of person you are. see you tomorrow!

Anonymous said...

Yah it was very interesting to learn about your hobbies and that you are an organic cook! You should think about bringing something in to first hour someday!:)

Jackie said...

I think first hour would find some of my recipes odd, especially at 8:30 in the morning. Yesterday at lunch I announced to the teachers there that I love beets. People looked at me with that "Whatever" look; one teacher even reported that she has never even eaten a beet, yet alone love them. So I would have to get to know first hour a lot better before I would consider bringing in one of my favorite recipes, like butternut squash soup.

Anonymous said...

its awsome that you are green. I want to major in enviromental science.

Anonymous said...

I also really enjoyed reading your paragraph, its very interesting yo read about your teacher and learn more about them. I think its cool that you are green as well. seeya tomorrow!

Anonymous said...

This was very fun reading because in just a little paragraph i learned a lot about you. It's awesome that you cook and also try to help the enviorment!

Anonymous said...

I liked learning more about you. I think it's pretty interesting the things that you do to help the environment, and that you are an organic cook!

matisse said...

I think what you are doing to reduce your carbon footprint is really cool. I think we should all learn from you to help make our envorinment a cleaner place!

Anonymous said...

I think it's really cool how you chose to go green this past summer! I've never tried drying my clothes outside...but after reading this it really made me want to try!

Unknown said...

I think this was an interesting and well thought out paragraph. It had a lot of detail about what it meant to be green, and gave me a very good example to help me write mine.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for providing this for us! It really helps get to know you better. Sara 1 hour

Doug Hour#1 said...

My mom has recently gone a bit green by drying alot of our clothes on this odd type of drying rack that we got with the house, so maybe it's contagious! Also, everything in my kitchen seems to be organic and progressively more healthy as of late.

Anonymous said...

It was very interesting to read your paragraph about yourself and learn more about you. See you in class tomorrow!

Anonymous said...

i really enjoyed reading about you and this class i think this is going to be very useful this year.

Anonymous said...

It was very interesting to learn things about you that I had no idea about, for example that you are an organic cook and I would LOVE to try some food! I also think it is very fun that you want to text us :)

Anonymous said...

Thats cool that you care so much for the environment. I think more people should do that. I'm looking forward to an exciting year in world lit.

Anonymous said...

It was very interesting to read the steps you are taking to be green. Although i find some to be extreme (i.e. mowing your lawn with a push mower) i can appreciate the steps you are taking to care for the environment.

Laura said...

(6hr) Have you seen this website? http://www.carbonfootprint.com/calculator.html