Friday, September 21, 2007

Literary Devices in Brave New World

The class will explore how Huxley employs literary devices to criticize society, keep the reader interested, and connect to past literature.

Devices of Satire

  • Sarcasm: harsh comments that aim to hurt
  • Overstatement: exaggeration
  • Understatement: saying less than is meant
  • Parody: mocking a known person, literary work, movie, etc.
  • Irony: saying one thing yet meaning another
  • Pathos: going from the serious to the ridiculous quickly
Other Literary Devices

Foreshadowing: clues that suggest events that have yet to occur

Allusion: reference to another literary work

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

After studying satire in class on Friday, I realized that the elements of satire are used alot more then I thought. Its everywhere weather it be In basic conversations or the saturday morning cartoons.

Anonymous said...

Satire is clearly a common device used in every day communication. The lesson made me realize just how often we are sarcastic and critical of one another.

Anonymous said...

I agree with both you, but are there different types of satire inside the irony, overstatements, understatements, pathos.... or can/do people use satire in the wrong way? I have noticed satire all around ever since we have examined it more, but why do we use satire; it never really stats or completely finishes a conversation. There are no very strong points that satire brings up unless you compare it to something else, but you don’t always use satire in a comparison.... I am trying to differ the uses of satire and I am not having luck finding the answers.

Anonymous said...

I agree with all three of you! Satire is one of my favorite literary devices. Last year we went in depth with differant types and I thought it really made an impact on how i view the text. I think satire can really alter the tone and ease up on all the "seriousness" of novels.

Anonymous said...

After studying these literary devices in class, I've really realized how frequently they are used. It seems as though one can't go very long without hearing one of these literary techniques.

- Sean McG hr. 2